Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Oncologist Visit

Today Elaine met with her Oncologist, Dr. Oh of the Cancer Care Center in Frederick, MD, accompanied by her parents and brother. Please keep in mind that this site is meant as a communication tool and the intent is to share facts and reality with those of you who are concerned with Elaine's well being.

Dr. Oh reviewed her recent test results and advised us that the Cancer has continued to grow and has made what he would deem "normal" progress since it was originally detected. It has intensified in her Liver and spread to Lymph nodes around her Kidney. On the positive side, cancer was not detected in any other organs at this time and the blood tests were all at acceptable levels. The doctor thought that Elaine was relatively stable and if she wanted to attempt chemotherapy, now would be the time to do it. Very honest discussions were held regarding the pros and cons of undergoing Chemotherapy and what symptoms and results Elaine could expect with and without treatment, knowing that Pancreatic cancer is extremely aggressive and that her prognosis is grave. Chemotherapy is further complicated due to the stroke, which has left Elaine in a weakened condition and there is profound concern over the toll it would take on her.

A decision will now have to be made in the coming days as to whether or not Elaine will undergo Chemotherapy.

We wish Elaine well and ask for your prayers and strength for Elaine during this difficult time.

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

Hello Everyone: May God’s love and blessings keep Elaine strong throughout her current struggles.

When I visited Elaine on Tuesday, she asked me to let you know how very much she loves and treasures your e-mails, cards, and visits. Her short term memory is affected by the stroke so even though she remembers that you have had contact with her, she is at times “fuzzy” about what you may have written or said. Thus, re-reading your notes to her from the blog and your cards makes her so very happy and she smiles and smiles and smiles – and we all know what a lovely sweet smile Elaine has. In Elaine’s own words, “keep the notes coming; I love to read them”.

All the best,
JoAnn (cousin)

JoAnn said...

And a lovely Good Day to my very special “kissing cousin”.

Yeah I know it may be a little unusual greeting but I can’t help but smile and remember the laughs we had on Tuesday (9/2) when you were shown the physical therapy exercises to help strengthen your tongue and jaws to aid in chewing and swallowing. The speech therapist definitely encouraged you to continue the “puckering” throughout the day so we were “throwing kisses” to each other all afternoon. Guess we gave some of the other residents something to think about!

I’m glad you enjoyed my cha-cha-cha’s with your wheelchair (yes I’ll do an encore for you); wow, the Four Seasons music is surely the best cha-cha music around. And we had a ball singing along to the Jersey Boys even if we were out of tune.

As you asked, I’ve sent a general blog comment to all your friends and family letting them know how much you love and appreciate the e-mails, cards and visits – and how much you love them in return. Elaine, from reading their notes to you, you are one unique special lady to so many people and you have wonderfully and lovingly affected all of our lives.

God Bless dear one.
Love,
JoAnn

Debi said...

Good Morning Elaine,

I just want to apologize for not making it up to see you yet this week,and want you to know that you are in my thoughts. I'm sending well wishes,hugs and kisses. Love you!!

Special K said...

Aunt Elaine! I have some time off from studying and just wanted to reflect on the time we went to see Cal Ripken get inducted into the Orioles Hall of Fame. We sat way up in the upper deck way out in left field. Man I will never forget that. That is probably one of the greatest things I have ever had the privilege of witnessing. I cannot thank you enough for all of the awesome gifts and games and experiences you have given me. I have some AWESOME stories to tell now. Thank you Aunt Elaine. You are in my prayers and I love you TONS!

Kevin

bjtalbott said...

Elaine, I was talking to your Mom the other day and she gave me this web address for your blog. I was so pleased because it gives me a chance to let you know we’re thinking about you. We wish you the best and have you in our prayers. Love, Bill and Grace Goedeke

Unknown said...

Elaine,
It has taken me a long time to get this comment to you. I had some problems understanding how to do it.
You have been in my thoughts and prayers and I justed want you to know. Please know that there are a lot of folks praying for you and wishing you well.
I will also include strength and guidance in my prayers as you decide if you are going to proceed with the treatments for the cancer.

May God bless and keep you safe in his arms during this difficult time.

Sincerely
Judy Wright (Terri' co-worker at FMC)