Monday, August 11, 2008

Northampton Manor

This is the first posting made on behalf of Elaine. It is perhaps the best way to provide an update on her medical condition to everyone in a timely fashion.

This site also allows you to enter "comments". Our hope is that you will write a comment that describes a favorite memory, a trip, a good story, funny moments, pictures, etc. These comments are going to be printed out and placed into a book in her room. This will make for some good reading and conversation with her.

Please let us know if you have some good tips regarding blogspots. If you have some good digital photos we would like to use them to personalize the "main page".

Elaine is in good spirits today at her new home, although the weekend was quite upsetting. She was moved from Kernan Rehabilitation Center in Baltimore on Friday August 8.

Northampton Manor www.northamptonmanor.org is a nursing home in Frederick, MD that can tend to her daily needs as well as provide physical, occupational, and speech therapies. She received those therapies today and said the therapists were very nice. Tomorrow ---- 8am ---- physical therapy. Let's see if she thinks that therapist is still nice.

Dad and Mom arranged for a phone to be installed in her room. The telephone "should" be working by 5pm tomorrow, Tuesday 8/12/08. Her phone number is 301-662-7465. Please keep in mind several things when you call her. She may be in therapy or cruising the halls in her wheelchair, or most importantly, she may just hang up on you. Stroke patients have trouble focusing and the telephone is very easy to forget about. Just so you know, she still remembers who she was talking to.

A very brief update on her overall condition. Doctors found spots on her lungs from an x-ray that was taken. The spots werre blood clots that eventually got to her brain and caused the stroke. The clots were formed from pancreatic cancer. Other pictures showed the cancer had spread to her liver and spleen.

Over the past weeks doctors and therapists at the rehab center have been treating the stroke symptoms trying to get some movement on her left side. Her speech has dramatically improved and continues to do so. Movement and sight have not significantly changed.

Cancer treatment is with chemotherapy, but with her weakened condition chemotherapy was not recommended by her doctor at University of Maryland Hospital.

The reality is that there is no amount of money, or new drugs, or best of best doctors that can cure the cancer.

If God's will is for her to remain with us, she will be cured and we can give glory to Him.

In the meantime, please pray for God's Love and Peace to fill Elaine's heart and mind.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Norm, Jo and I are extremely thankful for this communication tool. Since we cannot be there with Elaine continuously, we are looking forward to hearing the news. I hope the mp3 boombox made it to Frederick, cause I'm putting together some new music CD's. We hope to see you soon. Ab

Special K said...

I have a lot of great memories with aunt Elaine. On of my fondest memories was our trip to see Ken Singleton. We took the day and went to the Sports Museum and spent a couple hours looking at all the different sports stuff there. Everything from the 1983 Orioles to the Colts of the old days. Before the signing we went to the gift shop and got a picture of Ken Singleton for him to sign for me. I know for me personally, this was the first big league player I have met in person. She has given me numerous opportunities to experience AWESOME sports things. Every time I had something special like a birthday or Christmas or Graduation or for any reason, she always got the best gifts for me. I will continue to post comments of different memories of her. She is truly a FANTASTIC person and I love her VERY much.

Kevin

Kim said...

Hi Elaine,
Tuesday August 12th 2008
Just wanted to let you know that Janie, Terri and myself had a great time with you tonight. The pictures turn out good. I am glad Terri got you a Todd Heap Jersery. Now you will be ready when the Ravens come on tv. We All are praying for you. We Love You! Kimmy

JoAnn said...

Hail to Elaine -- our family’s very own “Dancing Queen”. This girl can rock!! I’ve never seen a song that Elaine did not want to dance to. It must run in the family – being her cousin, I love to dance too.

We attended my niece’s wedding reception in November 2004 and Elaine “ran me ragged” on the dance floor. We even started an ad-lib “Bunny Hop” (how many can remember that dance?) and all the bride’s family and friends were snaking throughout the hall and tables. I can only guess what kind of an impression we left on the groom’s family. She loves to cha-cha, and cha-cha…. and oh yes, she loves the group dances – e.g. The Electric Slide.

Elaine, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. You go girl!!

Love,
JoAnn

Kim said...

Hi Elaine,
Just sitting here thinking about you. Wanted to let you know I will bring the pics I took last night up to you next week. I couldn't figure out how to but them on the blog. Have a good evening. Love, Kimmy

Joe L. said...

Dear Elaine,
I don't know you too well, but the times we have spent together, you, me, and my wife, JoAnn Lamp, were terrific. You are so sweet and such a wonderful person. I hope you liked the music I put together for you in the MP3 thingys -- I was clueless about these before Sunday a few weeks ago. That was a stitch, just watching a 59 year old, Ph.D. college professor do that -- something that any self respecting tween could do in no time. Any damn thing we can do for ya, sweetie, just say the word. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless, Joe

jane said...

pHi Elaine--Just wanted to let you know evertime I hear a Cha-Cha- I think of you. The "Cha-Cha Queen" I have lots of "Cha-Cha" stories from all of our Dances, Weddings, and it would be much, too much to put it all in writing here. I hope this message brings you smiles and laughter remembering our little "Cha-Cha" clan. All of your friends love you and we are with you in "heart" if we can't be physically with you. Love, Jane

Debi said...

Hi Elaine,

Leave it to me to post a post in the wrong place...try to move that post to the right place...and lose the post somewhere out there in cyberspace... :) Anyway...The party I told you about when I visited you is coming next weekend and the offer still stands. And yes, I will pick the crabs for you.
Your in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a good, comfortable day

Love & Gentle Hugs,
Debi

Unknown said...

Marty said,
I have put your name in with several prayer groups. I am also having a mass said for your intentions. We are all praying for you to deal with this in your usual manner. Sun shiney and smiling. That's how I remember you and always have and alway will. Now we won't mention your age but one senior said "old age ain't for sissy's.

Jackie Rankin said...

Hey Girlfriend this is your cha cha slide partner. Sorry I have not been to visit lately. I had my foot operated on last Tuesday Aug. 12th. I am home recooperating. We all Love and miss you. Remember our god is an "Awesome God". He will Prevail!! So keep your faith God will see you through. Keep Smiling,and remember We Love You!
Remember to the left to the left!!!!

Love,
Jackie

Unknown said...

Dear Elaine,
There is a saying or a poem that goes something like this: Friends come into our lives for a season, a reason or a lifetime... I'm not sure how the rest goes, but I'm sure that your becoming a part of my life these past months has made me happier.
Our Sunday's at Fred and Margie's listening to Bobby Berger and eating shrimp and potatoes were great and watching those people in their 70's and 80's dancing and having fun was amazing.
Then when we decided to change it up and try karioke on Friday night with Wild Man Bruce - that was a great idea. I still think Bruce should go on "America's Got Talent". His voice is incrediable - I wish he did ALL the singing.
Finally, you convinced us to go to the Dundalk Heritage Festival to hear "The Mahoney Brothers". Well, Paul and I would never have done anything like that, but because you knew we would enjoy ourselves, we went and had a wonderful time.
We are truly blessed that you came into our lives and our prayer is that God gives you the strength and peace you need for this time.

Love,
Kathy and Paul